Monday, March 19, 2012

Yummy Cookies

So, we had a pretty rainy weekend here. Baby Bear and I made some cookies on Sunday from a recipe I saw on The Pleated Poppy blog. I wouldn't bother re-writing the recipe, but hers was a tad confusing to me, so I will attempt to fix a couple things here. I think the cookie base is super yummy. The oats really add a heft to the cookies that keep them thick and I personally like the crunchiness that they maintain even the next day. You could experiment with many different yummy add-ins with this recipe. I went with some Dark Chocolate Chips for ours, and Guittard Mint and Semisweet Mini Chips for the ones I took to work (I wanted a little green for St. Patricks Day).



Here is my version of the recipe base:

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup of oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp  kosher salt
1 cup butter flavored crisco
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
Chocolate Chips/Nuts/Candy - use your imaginaton!

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine flour, oatmeal, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside
Beat crisco, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in a large mixer until creamy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Approximately a cup at a time, add dry ingredients slowly with mixer on low.
Fold in chocolate/ white chocolate/ butterscotch chips/ etc by hand.
Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
Bake for approx. 11 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
Remove from oven and let cool for about a minute before moving to cooling rack.


These are delicious hot from the oven, and just as good later when stored in an airtight container. I doubled the recipe and even after making a bunch for work and some for us I had enough to freeze in portions to keep on hand to cook up when a craving hits! Give 'em a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment