Monday, November 28, 2011

Something Old, Becomes Something New

Friday, November 25 marked 5 years of marriage to Poppa Bear. I will avoid getting all sappy and just say I am a very, very lucky woman.


One thing that makes me lucky is that my hubby will spend part of our anniversary (the part when the Baby Bear was napping) to paint chairs with me. Apparently the traditional anniversary gift at five years IS wood, so maybe we were on to something.

I had been wanting a round or oval pedestal table for the dining area and happened on one for about $100 on Craigslist. The table was a little smaller than I had originally been looking for, but I was smitten with the chairs and their lovely geometric swirled backs. I could see potential. Here's the semi blurry photo from the Craigslist ad (without the leaf in the table):


I decided to paint the chairs and the base white and refinish the top with a darker, less orangey stain to complement the cabinets in the adjacent kitchen. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures during the process, but we used a liquid deglosser instead of sanding down the chairs due to the intricate chair back detail. I highly recommend using the deglosser outdoors and wearing a mask, this stuff is definitely not VOC free! Then we spray painted them with Rustoleum in semi-gloss white.



I sanded down the table top by hand all by myself during naptime on Saturday. By Saturday evening I thought I would never be able to move my arms again. I really should have asked for an electric sander for an anniversary gift! I used a combination of Provincial and Jacobean stains from Minwax for a nice, rustic look since there were already some dings and scratches. A couple coats of Semi-gloss Minwax Polycrylic low VOC topcoat on everything will help protect it from wear & tear (aka Baby Bear).



I did some distressing on the chairs and pedestal to give it a more casual, cottagey feel...



...and because, well, this is gonna happen anyway.


Buzz Lightyear make an appearance to kindly request that I put down the camera and play with him.


Not really. It was more like that finger pointing at me and him saying, "No more Mama!" while trying to push the camera away from my face...
But I happily complied because, like I said above, I am a lucky woman and 5 years can go by in the blink of an eye so I'd better not take these boys for granted.

6 comments:

  1. Those chairs look great! And a love the framed wreath in the background - great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, nice job! I really like the contrast of the natural wood grain and the white. Those chairs are pretty special too..love the back!
    And Happy Anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a transformation! The new stain on the table top looks fantastic, and the white is just gorgeous! Looks so fresh and bright, love it! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this table/chairs redo! They turned out gorgeous! Your buzz lightyear is just adorable!! I'm your newest follower. Please check out bellanest.blogspot.com if you get a chance. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so pretty! Nice job on the transformation...can't even picture the before...had to scroll back and look again! I love makeovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen, oh boy, you did a fabulous job with the table and chairs. I am so into white/cream this year that you could paint Santa Claus white and I would love it, LOL Also, your little boy is adorable. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete