Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Pirate's Room for Me (or rather, for the Baby Bear)

While anticipating the arrival of our Baby Bear, we put in a lot of work creating a cozy little nursery to welcome our boy. (I apologize in advance for all the nightime pictures in this post, I obviously can't always wait until morning to snap photos.)


Now that we have moved, we are taking the opportunity to make his room a little more like a "big boy" room. It will probably be of no surprise that we are giving him a Pirate Room. :)
Here's what it looked like when we moved in...


...and here is how it looks after I finally finished the curtains the other night:


The room is still very much unfinished. The "sail" above the bed needs to be painted and styled. The white shelves need to be mounted on the wall, and numerous other things need to be checked off my To Do list, but getting the curtains up does help to make it feel a bit more "moved in".

I made the curtains out of a drop cloth from Home Depot and a sheet set I got on clearance at Target. I split the drop cloth in half and then made a border from the striped flat sheet. The border is 4 inches on the side and 12 inches at the bottom.


I cut the borders twice as thick as I needed, then just folded them in half and sewed them to the drop cloths. Then I measured how long they needed to be, folded them over at the top, and clipped on the curtain hooks.


I love the nubby texture of the drop cloths contrasting with the crisp stripes!


I have another project in the works for this little corner. I'm hoping to have it finished by next Wednesday for the Pinterest Challenge but I will give you a hint by pointing out the ceiling hook in the top of the picture. ;)


Here is another peek at more details in the room.


How cute is this bedding from Olive Kids... (Thanks Nana!)


But my new favorite detail for the Baby Bear's room is the project that Poppa Bear did the other night. We had this white clock hanging in the nursery before.


Simple, effective, but nothing too fancy.
Poppa Bear came home from work with these little stickers he made...


...and did this:


He was so excited to "DIY" something that I made sure that he took these pictures along the way. :)

I can't wait to find the perfect spot for it in the Baby Bear's new Pirate Room. Now to get working on the rest of that To Do list!

No comments:

Post a Comment