Monday, October 10, 2011

A Ghoulish Recipe

Last year around this time our local Trader Joe's was sampling a yummy, simple dish they were calling "Ghoulash". It has become a "go to" recipe for when I need the Baby Bear to get some iron rich red meat in his diet. It's also tasty enough for grown ups and simple to throw together on a busy weeknight.

I hesitate to even refer to this as a recipe, because it's basically just adding ground beef to a can of premade O's, but here is how I do it in our house.

1 lb lean ground beef (you can certainly substitute ground turkey, chicken, lamb, whatever floats your boat...)
2 cans Trader Joe's "Joe's O's" (Organic Pasta in Organic Tomato Sauce)


I generally use 1 lb beef to 2 cans O's to get the meat/pasta ratio that I like, but you can adjust it to your taste. Just know that if you do 1 can to a pound of beef you're basically gonna end up with a bowl of beef with some pasta in it. (If given the option, this is probably how Papa Bear would prefer it!)


In a large saute pan, brown the beef (drain, if needed). Add O's and heat on medium until heated thouroghly. I like to simmer mine on low for a bit to soften up the ground beef so it's a little easier for the Baby Bear to eat, but you can skip that step and eat it right away.


Baby Bear tested, Mama Bear approved! :)


This combination makes a large amount of ghoulash, so I like to portion it out once cooled into my favorite glass storage containers and freeze it to have on hand for packing in Baby Bear's lunch, or for the times when he isn't interested in what we are having for dinner.


Nothing better than not having to ask, "What's for lunch?"



I feel like ever since the weather changed I've had the urge to cook and bake a lot more. Anyone else inspired to bring out the crockpot or heat the house on a chilly night by baking cookies? For me it would be a toss up between a roaring fireplace or a hot pan of brownies as my prefered way to keep warm. Unfortunately we don't have a fireplace, so I guess I'd better go preheat the oven...

No comments:

Post a Comment