Thursday, July 14, 2011

What's for Dinner?

First let me start by saying they had me at "we'll take care of all the clean up".



I started going to Dream Dinners about 2 years ago at the recommendation of a friend. It really is an inspired idea and while there tonight I was reminded how much I enjoy the process, as well as having a stocked freezer full of pre-prepared food.

Let me explain...

I choose to set up my session and place my order online. So when I stroll in I am met with smiles, handed an apron, and showed to my drawer (which has my name on a cute little tag) where I can stash my belongings. Then you get your direction cards and head to one of the stations.

When placing your order you choose between 3 or 6 serving meals, and when you get to each station, all your ingredients (like fresh mushrooms, sage, and chipotle pesto) are layed out and instructions are provided for you to assemble your dinners. I am beyond picky when it comes to food, so I love that I can customize certain things (Hold the tomatoes, please.) Oh and did I mention that as you work, someone comes along and as soon as you use a dish or a spoon they wisk it away to be washed, leaving a shiny clean one in its place! (Try that one at home!)

(photo credit Tom Dodge)

Once your dinners are assembled, they go onto your shelf (again complete with cute lil' name tag) in the fridge. Then, if you're me, you grab a plate of which ever of next months dinners they happen to be sampling that night or make a cup of coffee and have a seat in one of the comfy chairs while they pack up your meals and get ready to load them into your car for you. Yep, you heard me... you don't even have to carry your bags to your car.

Just in case you were wondering, the actual "dinners" themselves are great. Sure we have our favorites, and not all are winners. But for the effort, or lack thereof, and price (most dinners are an average $4 per serving) it really does make it easier for a working family with a toddler to avoid the drive thru.

So tonights haul includes: Firecracker Beef Sliders, Lemon Chicken with Couscous, Sicilian Tortellini with Chicken, Savory Grilled Pork Chops with Sweet Potato Fries, Crispy Coconut Chicken with Jasmine Rice, Chateau Chicken with Almond Butter Sauce, Canadian Bacon Stuffed French Bread, Tuscan Chicken with Fettuccine, All American Beef Kabobs with Garlic Rice, and Slow Cooked BBQ Pork Loin Strips (which I fully intend to throw in the crockpot in the morning and call it a day.)



Plus the Tomato Basil Bisque with a Bread Bowl I grabbed for Poppa Bear from the Fast Lane selection and the impulse buy Chocolate Chunk Cookies that are currently calling me from the freezer.


Speaking of the freezer, they also send you home with a printout to post on the fridge/freezer that reminds you what you've got, including notes on cooking method, time to table, and serving suggestions. Now if only I had a list like that for my closet...



PS: I'm not affiliated in any way by Dream Dinners and was not compensated in any way for this post, I just happened to have a good time there tonight. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment