Friday, July 15, 2011

Mini Makeover

Nope, this post isn't about the fact that I snuck off after work to finally get my eyebrows waxed. It's actually about my recent revamp of Baby Bear's $19.99 Ikea Latt table and chair set.

I had heard from other moms that the white fiberboard pieces on the table and chairs were a pain to keep clean, especially when covered in crayon and other miscellaneous substances left behind by toddlers. But I figured I would let him at it for a while and when it was starting to look a bit tired I would figure out a way to "Pimp my Table".

Functional. But a little boring, right?
However, over 4th of July weekend I ended up painting a rug for the living room (more on that later) and had almost a quart of left over navy paint. I also had a roll of contact paper with a nice neutral geometric pattern that I couldn't resist buying even though I had nowhere in mind to use it at the time. The two came together late at night while I was trying to avoid cleaning up the mess I had made in the dining room from the rug. I don't know about you, but I am pretty creative when I'm procrastinating.

Coincidentally, that's Valspar's "Star Spangled" (Color matched to Olympic's Non-VOC flat)
It took about 3 coats with a sponge brush to paint all the unfinished wood parts. I probably could have used less had I thrown on a coat of primer, but I didn't realize this until I started painting and didn't have any on hand. I took the whole thing apart to apply the contact paper, simply cuting it about 2 inches bigger all around each piece and sticking it directly to the fiberboard. Thank goodness for our stash of allen wrenches from all the Ikea furniture we own since you never know when you're gonna need to disassemble something at midnight. (Every time I type the word disassemble it makes me think of the movie Short Circuit.)



In hindsight I wish I would have dissasembled (No disassemble Johnny Five!!) the set before I painted it, or at the very least taped off the table and seat parts, since I wasn't exactly careful about getting paint on them because I knew I was going to be recovering those piece. Since the paint is so dark, it does sort of show through the contact paper in some places. But for now I like how it turned out, and I figure it is highly likely that this is only the first in a series of transformations this little table may go through in it's lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. Ok...I totally think of Short Circuit too when I hear disassemble...LOL!!! Anyhow...love the table...very cute and great solution!

    ReplyDelete