Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Birthday Wishes

Yesterday was my Mom’s Birthday. All day long I was thinking about how years ago (to be nice we won’t mention how many) my Grandma gave birth to a little red headed girl. She probably felt very similar to how I felt on the day Baby Bear was born. Overwhelming love.

Meeting Baby Bear for the first time
  I imagine she held her little girl in her arms and was overcome with the urge to nuzzle her nose with hers. At least that’s what happened to me when they placed my baby in my arms for the first time, instant Eskimo kisses.

It’s kind of crazy how giving birth completely changes how you think about Birthdays. I don’t know if I ever thought of my Mom as a newborn before I became a Mother. It’s easy to forget that she is somebody’s baby. That every little joy in a new word spoken or milestone achieved that I witness in my son; my Grandmother witnessed in her.  
Mom with some of her 9 siblings
 She grew up because of her influences, and despite her circumstances, to be a strong, caring, independent, and overwhelmingly generous woman. I could write an entire post about all the ways she has influenced the kind of Mother I hope to be. Not to mention her abilities in the kitchen. Well, let’s just say the woman could have her own Facebook Fan page based solely on her baking skills.

If only my Senior pictures were this timeless...
I don’t know if my Grandma knew, that day in the hospital in Syracuse New York, just what kind of a life was beginning and where her little girl would be today. But I know if she did, she would have been proud. So very, very proud.


Happy Birthday Mommy. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment